Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:54:52 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two questions

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 07:34:00AM +0000, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > xdpyinfo
>
> Thanks says 1680x1050 which is what I expected (says it supports 32 bit
> depth but when I try that instead of 24 X fails to init the screen so any
> ideas would be nice here)

That's because 24 bit color depth in X is the same as 32 bit color depth
in MS Windows.  The additional eight bits of color depth reported for MS
Windows is actually not part of color depth, but rather "padding" or an
alpha channel.  In other words, you're getting the same thing with 24 bit
color that you'd expect from 32 bit color on MS Windows, and vice versa.

. . . so whenever you see someone refer to 32 bit color, just mentally
translate that to 24 bit color depth and go with it.

Patrick J. LoPresti: "Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1)
Generates a syslog message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk
quota by 100K; and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!"