Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:22:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Nate Williams wrote:
> > I'm currently working on an NxN libpthread implementation as
> > an interim solution until we get KSEs.  The goal is to get
> > this done before 5.0.
>
> How is this different from the current implementation?

File descriptors will not be made non-blocking like they are
currently in libc_r.  When a thread blocks on I/O, it _really_
blocks -- no other threads will be scheduled within that
[rfork_thread'd/cloned] process.  Other PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM
[rfork_thread] threads will continue to run.  I haven't decided
yet whether to allow PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS threads (which would
run within the main process, and when one of them blocks the
main process blocks), or to silently treat process scope
threads as system scope threads.

> > Unfortunately I don't have the time to help the Java porting
> > effort, but I would like to hear about any problems the porters
> > are having with our current libc and any expected problems from
> > a libpthread that will act very similar to linuxthreads.
>
> Will do...

Thanks.

--
Dan Eischen