Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:51:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT (?) booting from CD on Atapi

> Hello!
>
> This may be a bit late :-|
>
> A machine with SCSI  disks and an ATAPI CD-ROM (no  IDE disks) would not
> boot from  3.3 CD  if the  SCSI disks  are online.  It would  say: "Read
> Error" on the upper  left of the screen -- where  you'd normally see the
> spinning dash. I suspect,  this is a loader's bug :(,  which may make it
> to 3.4 ...

This is a bug in your BIOS, or your configuration of your system.  The
loader is not running at that point; the 'Read Error' message is boot1
trying to load boot2 and failing, typically due to a bad value in %dl
passed by the BIOS.

> The workaround  is to  disconnect the  SCSI chain at  the boot  time and
> connect it  back when the  /boot/loader gives  the prompt --  the kernel
> will find the disks nicely.

I assume that the system boots correctly from disk once FreeBSD is
installed?