Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:58:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        djardine@hotmail.com (Douglas Jardine)
Cc:        toor@dyson.iquest.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LRU implementation

Douglas Jardine said:

> >>From toor@dyson.iquest.net Mon Sep 15 13:02:41 1997
> >>
> >None of the above.  One way to describe it is "Not used recently
> >very often" :-).  There are 2nd chance FIFO queues also.
>
> Umm. Can somebody please interpret this for me! I assume FreeBSD
> looks at the referenced bit to decide the "not used recently" part,
> but how does the "very often" part work? Where do the FIFO queues
> fit in the overall scheme? (If this is explained someplace a pointer
> will suffice).

Take a look at the pageout daemon in /sys/vm/vm_pageout.c.  It is
pretty complex to describe in words (and would likely take several
pages of pseudo-code.)  There is also a bit of code in vm_page.c
that creates the paging policy.

> I am not very familiar with 2nd-Chance FIFOs so can somebody elaborate?
> As Joerg points out, on i386 the referenced bit is
> supported by hardware. But that by itself can't be used to construct
> a FIFO. So how is the FIFO formed? Once the FIFO is formed, I guess
> second chance would mean don't throw away the pages with referenced
> bit set. What is done with these pages - i.e. are they queued to the
> tail of the FIFO or left in place or ...?

Actually, our code is ready also to support machines w/o referenced
bits.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org