Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 09:13:12 -0700
From:      Pete Carah <pete@puffin.pelican.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

In article <199508130850.BAA09255@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> Rod writes:
>> I have a Hawk and a Barracuda and recommend them both with the following
>> proviso: The Barracuda runs very hot. I have it mounted in a server case
>> containing 3 fans (5 if you count the power supply and CPU.) One of the
>> fans blows directly across it. Still warm to the touch but not worth getting
>> paranoid over. Performance wise it rocks.

>And that ``proviso'' is one many are not willing to live with.  If a drive
>requires that type of external cooling air blown at it, then something is
>seriously wrong.

Well, the official word from SGI is to not mount Barracuda drives internal
to any SGI except the large Challenge/Onyx rack for this reason.
(old indigo, indy, all older machines; actually they may have improved
cooling on indigo2 but I don't remember...)  There are a couple of other
drive lines in that list but I don't remember which either.

>The Barracuda series of drives have had a very hight field FIT (failure in
>time) rate due to this problem.  The hawk drives on the other hand do not
>run near as hot, have not had high FIT rates in the field and seem to be
>doing just fine performance wise.

7200 RPM costs you, in various ways.  I don't want the 2gb Barracuda in
the same room with me, either (holds hands to ears :-)...  (though my
manager did put one on my desk for a while)

>Read my .signature, and then think about what I said, and you may fully
>understand why I said it :-) :-)

Barracuda drives seem just fine in the "appropriate" external case...
We've run a bunch (~20) of them (2gb model) for >1.5 yrs in whatever case
Western Scientific furnishes, and a few in cases from Legacy (?) (I think
they are the same...), without *any* drive failures (well, there was one
in a week; I somehow doubt that was from this cause).  We have seen the usual
problem with non-ideal scsi cables; the SGI indy's are especially susceptible
to this (along with the older 1542C's that Rod has already commented on,
and whatever else).  (actually all SGI's are susceptible to this; there
seems to be something about the WD scsi chipset that they use...)

-- Pete