Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:44:23 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, juha@saarinen.org, pahowes@fair-ware.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Athlon Processors

In message <20010831082525.A78918@grumpy.dyndns.org>, David Kelly
writes:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 04:01:14AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> >
> > Juha Saarinen writes:
> >
> > > It's probably not the Athlon CPU that's the issue for either FreeBSD
> > > or Linux, but the motherboard chip sets. From personal experience,
> > > the first Linux 2.4 kernels weren't very happy with VIA chip sets,
> > > which are commonly used for Athlon boards. It's mainly IDE issues
> > > (e.g. UDMA-66/100 support).
> >
> > There are at least two major problems with VIA chips:
> >
> > Any fast PCI device (often IDE) can cause data corruption.
>
> That might explain the problem I had with an Athlon 800 on Asus A7V.
> System would not run thru a complete "make buildworld" without core dump
> or kernel panic (think it was core dump). So I went BIOS-diving and
> reading the manual carefully about the fine details of each configurable
> parameter. Found one that defaulted off for Duron but on for Athlon
> where the description mentioned "off" disabled PCI 2.2 enhancements.
> "Off" cured my problems and the machine has been rock solid since
> December when it was built.
>
> Maybe that parameter or another mentioned "overlapping data transfer" as
> well.
>
> Have always attributed the problem to my old PCI cards.

I had a related problem with an ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard, which is
based on the Intel 815E chipset.  The system would inexplicably hang.
When it hung the SCSI disk LED (I wired the SCSI controller to the
turbo LED while the EIDE controllers on the motherboard were connected
to the disk LED) was on.  I was able to reproduce the problem 50% of
the time when using the SCSI ZIP-100 drive that was attached to the
system at the time.  At other times the system would hang all by
itself, once again with the SCSI LED on.  I checked the Adaptec site
for my AHA-2940U/UW.  Adaptec only mentioned that the card supported
the PCI 2.0 protocol.  There was no mention of supporting any other PCI
protocols.  Setting the BIOS to use the PCI 2.0 protocol fixed my
problem.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC