Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:49:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        n9842643@cc.wwu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pop3/smtp question

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998 n9842643@cc.wwu.edu wrote:

> Hello.   I'm a beginner with FreeBSD and I'm just trying to set up
> email for my POP3 account.  The POP3 account has been issued
> by my provider (in my case Western Washington University, i'm a
> college student), and has obviously been set up for Windows95
> users only.
>
> When I set up my PPP configuration files, I simply used the name
> inferno.cc.wwu.edu for the name of my computer, where the inferno
> somthing I just made up and the cc.wwu.edu was the domain name
> on my email address.

You have to know what you're geting into when you 'invent' names.
Unfortunately that name will get exposed to the outside world and you will
run into problem with sites that will throw you out since your fake
address doesn't resolve.

There isn't much you can do about this other than change your hostname to
match your dialup name or limit your mail correspondence with hosts that
like you.  (This is the first time I've hard of a mail server rejecting
mail from sites that don't reverse resolve, though).

> I was able to get POP3 to grab my messages only if I used the
> popclient command and I was logged in as a user resembling my
> mail server login name (i.e. I had to set up a n9842643 account on
> my system to get mail from the smtp server since it wouldn't work
> under the root username).

That's a popclient thing.

> When I try to send mail, however, I get the mail back with the message
> below when I tried to mail napalm@halcyon.com   I'm not sure if I
> should rename my domain name in all my namedb config files or i'm just
> missing somthing.  Any help would be extremely appreciated since I am
> very sick of using this stupid windows mail program.  Can anyone help?

You'll have to see if you can relay through a closer host.  The 'SMTP'
host that's configured in your mail application is a good target.

> Final-Recipient: RFC822; napalm@halcyon.com
> Action: failed
> Remote-MTA: DNS; smtp7.nwnexus.com
> Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 551 unresolvable host name inferno.cc.wwu.edu,
> see RFC 1123, sections 5.2.2 and 5.2.18.
> Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 00:35:03 -0800 (PST)

Doug White