Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:21:23 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: testing wireless security

--nextPart1646672.SW4L4AS4xq

On Monday 19 November 2007 10:43:13 am Mike Tancsa wrote:
> I have been playing around with 3 ath based FreeBSD boxes and seem to
> have got everything going via WPA and a common PSK for 802.11x
> auth.  However, I want to have a bit more certainty about things
> working properly.
>
> What tools do people recommend for sniffing and checking a wireless netwo=
rk
> ?
>
> In terms of IDS, is there any way to see if people are trying to
> bruteforce the network ?  I see hostap has nice logging, but anything
> beyond that ?
>
> e.g. with a bad psk on the client
>   hostapd: ath0: STA 00:0b:6b:2b:bb:69 IEEE 802.1X: unauthorizing port
>
> is there a way to black list MAC addresses, or just allow certain
> ones from even trying ?  IPSEC will be running on top, but I still
> want a decent level of security on the transport layer.

When I looked in to this it seemed that the current state of affairs is tha=
t=20
WPA can only be broken by brute-forcing the key.  I don't recall if that=20
could be done 'off-line' or not.  My memory is that the needed info to=20
attempt bruteforcing could be done by simply receiving....no need to attemp=
t=20
to associate to the AP was needed.   I'm not really interested in=20
disseminating links to tools that can be used to break wireless security, b=
ut=20
simple google searches will give you the info you need.....and the tools ar=
e=20
in the ports tree for the most part.

=46ortunately WPA allows keys that put even resource-rich attackers in to t=
he=20
decade range to bruteforce.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB