Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 06:49:57 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org>
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@trigger.net>, Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, dinoex@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd vs ports sshd

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 01:50:32AM -0700, Andrew P. Lentvorski wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Fred Condo wrote:
>
> > I strenuously disagree. Should inetd be a port? Sendmail? What about
> > syslogd or named? Although not all should be on by default, they are
> > certainly essential to enough users that they should be part of the
> > default installation.
>
> Well, since you brought it up, the idea should certainly be open to
> discussion ;)

Yes, but perhaps no more on -stable. There is no way the arguably
reasonable changes you propose below will go into stable, so this
discussion is veering off-topic, and I would hate to be the guy
responsible for reducing s/n here.

> I can make the case for removing any subsystem which is primarily
> maintained by someone other than the FreeBSD team from the "base" system
> (ie. buildworld/installworld).  This would include named/bind (which most
> people don't use), sendmail (lots of people use other mailers), OpenSSH
> (security fixes propagate more often than OS releases), Perl (way too big
> and unstable), etc.
>
> The latest OpenSSH fire drill certainly helps make the point.  If OpenSSH
> wasn't a part of the base buildworld, the dev team wouldn't have to worry
> about it right now.  It would be completely a ports issue.
>
> Please note that you can make packages part of a default install even if
> it's not going to be part of the main buildworld.  See the rather long
> flamefest^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdiscussion about removing Perl from the base
> distribution.  Very few people would argue that Perl shouldn't be part of
> a "default" install.  However, keeping it as part of a
> buildworld/installworld base just becomes very unwieldy.  The compromise
> is to install it by default as a package.

Yes, let us not start a "discussion" like the one about Perl
here. This discussion should move to another list. I don't think this
change should (or will) happen on RELENG_4, so it is moot to post here
about it, and I will post no more in this thread forever :)

--
Fred Condo - fred@condo.chico.ca.us