Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        tlayton@global-sol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape support ?

Timothy P. Layton, Sr. wrote:

> I am a new user of FreeBSD.  I installed my system last night and have
> had a good deal of success.  I have an adaptec 1542 SCSI controller and
> a HP SureStore 5000 DAT.  I am using the dump command to do a level 0
> backup of all the file systems and it appears to work fine.
>
> I am trying to figure out how to show the index or catalog of what
> I backed up on the tape. Any ideas ??

	two ways, one interactive and one prints a list to
	the screen (really to stdout)
		"restore tf <tape_device>"  prints the list
		"restore if <tape_device>"  displays a prompt and you
		can "cd" around as if it was a disk.

> Also I am using a density of 61000 as an argument for the dump command.
> I am assuming that this is the correct density for a 2 Gb DAT tape ?

	no, dont use desnity and tape length.  these are for 9track tapes.
	use "b" and "B" which are "kB/dump record" and "dump records per tape"
	respectively.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG