Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:18:21 +0000
From:      "Riaal Domingues" <riaal@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        pk@nanoteq.com
Subject:   Network connections keep dropping

Hi there!

I have a strange problem and I hope you guys can help me.

We have several 4.6-RELEASE boxes running SSH, after connected for a
while (varies between 5 min. and an +-40) the connection dies. The SSH
on the server only writes out the following message: "fatal: Write
failed : permission denied". I looked in the SSH source code, and the
only file that generates an error like that is
/usr/src/crypto/openssh/packet.c. The permissions denied (errno set by
system) error is generated in an attempt to write to the
"connection_out" socket.

I then tried a connection to the servers using telnet, and exactly the
same behaviour as with SSH !! So, it is not SSH related, we upgrade the
server to 4.6.2-RELEASE but still the same thing, it looks like it may
have something to do with the kernel or network sockets or something.

I tried it on different hardware combinations as well with the same
results. We use a plain installation with a vanilla SSH config, nothing
unusual, the kernel is configured to use ipfirewall, striped from some
SCSI devices, I386 I486 and that's it.

A quick way to generate the error is to log on to the server, leave it
for a while then add a firewall rule and delete it again, on deletion
the connection to that server (using ssh) is immediately disconnected
with the same error message from sshd as described above. This trick
generates the problem about 99% of the time.

I can't find anything in the mailing list of similar problems. Has
anyone else experienced something like this? or can anybody please give
me a hint what else I can do to try and find the problem.

Cheers
Peut Kotze