Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:24:33 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@masto.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: cups-1.1.10.1

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:15:24PM -0500, Christopher Masto wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:11:45PM -0500, Alan E wrote:
>> OTOH, cups is *intended* to replace the existing printing system.
>
>It is, however, not equivalent to ether the FreeBSD printing system or
>LPRng.  I personally feel it is inferior to the latter in many ways.

Different features. CUPS is oriented towards PS printers. For me,
it's the best choice. For you, not.

>I "blindly" installed KDE, a "desktop environment".  Should I have
>expected it to overwrite files installed by another rather unrelated
>port?  I don't think so..

I agree. Sysinstall is not clear about dependencies, and doesn't seem
to provide a way to say that you don't really care what it thinks, you
don't want package X, and that's that.

>> well, RPM has the idea of a conflict. I assume ports does also.
>
>Your assumption is entirely incorrect.

Ah. Looks like ports is needing a new feature.

>> Among other things, if both LPRng and CUPS "own", e.g.,  /usr/local/bin/lpr,
>> deleting whichever one came first shouldn't touch /usr/local/bin/lpr, since
>> its ownership has been usurped by the later package. But I doubt it works
>> that way.
>
>It doesn't.

Looks like ports is needing another new feature. This, of course, is
really just an extreme case of two conflicting versions of the same
package, which pkg_* do not handle with even the least amount of grace.

>Obviously the hypothetical person who is inconvenienced by this is me,
>particularly because the LPRng port happened to be broken at the time,
>making it rather difficult to regain an important function.

Ouch! I could say "backups ... bla bla ... contingency ...", but, bottom
line is, you're right, it shouldn't shoot itself, and by extension, you,
in the foot like that. At least, not without copious warnings to the
effect of, "Look, if I continue with what you've told me to do, I'm
really going to fsck things up. Are you nuts?"

--
Alan Eldridge
from std_disclaimer import *