Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:42:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        phate1@ix.netcom.com (Mike)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd can't find my scsi bus.

Mike wrote...
> Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> >
> > Mike wrote...
> > > FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE
> > > P2-333
> > > Mylex 960SXI SCSI<->SCSI Raid controller.
> > > Adaptec 2940U/UW SCSI Controller.
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to setup a scsi<->scsi raid controller hooked up a 2940uw
> > > host scsi controller.
> > >
> > > I setup the raid controller fine (create an array, initialize the
> > > array), boot up the system, then adaptec 2940 detects the array of disks
> > > as SCSI ID 0, LUN 0..
> > >
> > > But when I boot up freebsd, freebsd doesnt detect ANY disks whatsoever.
> > >
> > > What can be the problem?
> >
> > That is a bit odd.  The first question is, does FreeBSD detect your 2940?
> > Are you sure the 2940 isn't a 2940 U2W (i.e., an Ultra-2 controller)?
> >
> > Will FreeBSD boot if you put a "normal" disk on the system?  How did you
> > install FreeBSD in the first place if it doesn't detect any disks?

> thanks for replying.
>
> yes, I have a 2940U/UW controller.. Not U2W..
>
> OK, first of all i found interesting, that unlike in other computers
> (using regular scsi disks) in this one the 2940 occupies 2 IRQ's - #9,
> #10 shown by the BIOS after startup.
>
> Now, when freebsd boots up, all the way at the top, it shows found -
> Adaptec-- IRQ 9 - no driver assigned
> Adaptec-- IRQ 10 - no driver assigned

It really sounds like you've got a 3940AUW, or a 2940 "Dual".  Both of them
have 7895 chips onboard.  That would explain why you're seeing two
interrupts assigned for the board.

Can you look on the board itself and find out:

- how many large Adaptec chips are on it
- What the markings/model numbers are on those chips.

> Further way down in the probe, it shows
> aha0 not found at 0x330..

That driver is for the Adaptec 154x series of ISA controllers.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com