Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:26:50 +0200
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long trance after inserting CF card

+ Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>:

| I got a couple new 128 MB compact flash cards today.  After I insert
| the card (and run pccardc power 0 1), 12 seconds pass - after which
| the computer freezes up completely for about 40 seconds.  Then,
| pccardd produces its beep, and I can mount the card and read the files
| off it without problems.

Well, for the record, here is the solution, kindly provided by Greg
Smith:

+ "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>:

| I think this is a known problem with the ata driver probing for both
| master and slave when no slave is present.
|
| What version of FreeBSD are you running?

Um, it was 4.1-RELEASE, and my apologies for forgetting to say so.

| I think this was fixed recently, although I am not sure.  My
| 4.3-Stable handles my pcmcia ATA hard drive well; 4.1-Release had
| the big delay you mention.

And indeed, upgrading to 4.3-RELEASE fixed the problem.

(I tore out some hair since my Linksys 10/100 ethernet card stopped
working after the upgrade, but removing my home made config for it
from /etc/pccard.conf, relying instead on /etc/defaults/pccard.conf,
fixed that one.  Actually, the symptoms were kind of funny; the ed
driver attached fine, but it thought the card had a hardware address
of aa:aa:aa:aa:aa:aa, and when I ifconfig'd it it spouted some bogus
traffic on the network.  I have no idea why, but now that it works, I
don't particularly care.  And I still have a bit of hair left,
fortunately.)

- Harald