Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:54:37 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
To:        lamont@abstractsoft.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.X last?

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Sean T. Lamont   .lost. wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Sean T. Lamont   .lost. wrote:
> >

> > > It seems that the wtmp format has changed as of 3.0 but that the
> > > 'last' program hasn't. As a result, it's largely useless.
> > >
> > > Has anyone fixed this problem, or is it up to me?
> >
> > Zap /var/log/wtmp. ie:
> >
> > 	cp /dev/null /var/log/wtmp
> >
> > It'll work from then on.
>
> Actually, it didn't.

Odd. The wtmp format underwent a change on transition from
2.2.x to 3.x. It works fine on the 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 machines
here. Are you sure you're running the correct/latest last(1)?

Also, any old programs that modify wtmp will also need to recompiled
and reinstalled (eg: screen), so that they `know' about the
wtmp changes.

Are you running any 2.2 a.out stuff on your machine?

Jonathan Chen