Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:06:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Gary Kline wrote:

>	C'mon, guys, let's get _really_ real...  We need to
>	abolish handguns altogether, since, let's face it:
>	the only thing a .454 Colt Bisley is meant to kill
>	is a human target.  --One, maybe two for the expert
>	shooter.
>
>	Rather than mess around, we need a new paradigm in
>	the way of personal weaponry.    I suggest something
>	like the Personal Grenade.  Something that would
>	take adversaries out at, oh, say, 20 feet and leave
>	oneself entirely safe.

Most of the folks here are actually discussing this issue. What is this
second paragraph intended to do?

I will agree 100% with one statement. I hope everyone reads this and
understands what I am going to say.

Handguns are designed with the express purpose of killing. Such is the
case with all weapons. Even target weapons are simple the "auto-racing"
verions of a more mundane instrument of death.

The Toledo of the conquistador broadsword is intended purely to kill
people. So is the Dai Katana of the Samurai. Excalibur was wielded by King
Arthur in "defending the faith." But the intentions of the wielder of
these weapons vary widely.

The point is that a weapon is inanimate. A weapon is neither good nor
evil. A weapon has no intentions. A weapon cannot be tried for a crime by
an court on the planet.

Can you even imagine such a trial?

Mr. .454, where were you on the night of... This is ludicrous. Why is it
ludicrous? Because the _human being_ is responsible for the use that the
weapon is put to.

Let me be more cliche. "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

I invite anyone to show me a case where a weapon has been found guilty of
a crime and has been convicted under the law of that government.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/