Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 1995 04:34:23 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SATAN ported??

Brian Tao:
 * >     The list of changes and bugfixes from 5.000 to 5.001 is 1300 lines
 * > long.  ;-)  I suspect there will be a similar number of changes from
 * > 5.001 to 5.002.  I think we should probably hold off on a port of perl
 * > until at least 5.002.  I can put together a perl5001 package in the
 * > meantime, if anyone is interested.

I'm not sure if I follow your logic here.  Just because a piece of
software is unstable doesn't mean we can't make good use of it.
Considering the number of people having trouble compiling it, I don't
see why we shouldn't make a port.  (Also, some people desperately
need/want to run Satan by themselves before their system is broken
in....)

Yes, a binary package is fine but won't really help people who want to
take a look and fix the bugs.  Also, given the nature of people's
reports, it seems like it is quite a work to make it compile/work on
all different versions of FreeBSD-2.x (2.0R, 0210, 0322, -current,
with or w/o gcc 2.6.3), so we need to coordinate our efforts.

If you are worried about newbies, we can put a big WARNING!!! sign in
front of it so that unsuspecting users won't stumble on it. :)

Rod Grimes:
 * You should probably find and fix as many of the problems as you can
 * with 5.001 and get them sent back to Larry so that 5.002 will not
 * have these problems.
 *
 * If we don't try to get patches back to authors the next version can
 * even be harder to get working :-(.

Agreed.

Satoshi