Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:18:39 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INB question

As Mike Smith wrote:

> Note that Joerg's comment about a nonresponding bus giving random
> values is *WRONG* for most busses; certainly at least ISA and PCI.
>
> The ISA specification explicitly requires bus pullup resistors.  It may
> be unwise to depend on reading 0xff back-to-back with a previous read/
> write operation, ...

That's why i wrote ``unspecified, with a tendency to 0xff''.

> but the reader is welcome to calculate the RC time constant for a
> transmission line with a few pF of capacitance and a 10K (or less)
> pullup.

j@uriah 132% perl -e 'print 50e-12 * 10e3; print "\n"'
5e-07

I think 50 pF is rather an understatement.  0.5 µs doesn't seem to be
terribly short, but IIRC, ISA inb's are artificially deferred by 1.25
µs, so chances are good to actually see 0xff.  I wouldn't rely on it
for a back-to-back read, however.

--
cheers, J"org