Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:33:05 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Steve writes:

> I've not seen FreeBSD just crash without explanation
> ever in a year of use.

Given the design of UNIX, I was extremely surprised to see the system crash with
KDE.  As I've said elsewhere, my best guess right now is that a bug in a video
driver took the system down.  I hope and assume that KDE or even XFree is not
trying to bypass UNIX to perform privileged operations.

> I have seen netscape whack X twice, just type
> startx again.

Yes, and if Windows crashes, just wait for it to reboot!

> It -is- less intuitive than Windows for sure; you'd
> better be interested in learning something about O/S
> and computers or you may be disappointed.

Agreed.  That's why it is not a realistic alternative to Windows, except perhaps
for geeks who like to learn about such things (as opposed to just using the
computer as a tool).

> Actually I'm one of those who tried it 'cause I
> wanted a choice other thane Microsoft (Had the 1'st
> incarnation of Win98 at the time and I grew sick
> of fdisk/formatting on a weekly basis)

And do you really think it is a realistic alternative?

You should have tried Windows NT/2000 instead; it's a completely different OS,
despite appearances, and it is rock stable.  Unfortunately, it also costs
several hundred dollars ... and if you need _server_ functionality (as opposed
to a desktop), it offers no major advantages over FreeBSD, and a number of
disadvantages.