Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:27:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.5 and ICQ

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, David E. Cross wrote:

> > Btw, if you use jdk1.1.2-fbsd1.tgz.good you will see that icq works like a
> > charm. So it is SOMETHING that has happened to jdk1.1.{3,4,5}.
> This also makes sense, and it is not just FreeBSD.. I went to Mirabilis's
> web page and noted that Linux users can also not reliably connect with
> 1.1.5

But what happened between jdk1.1.2 and jdk1.1.5, probably have we stolen
some fix from linuxjdk or they have stolen something from us that gives
this bug. Because the solaris jdk1.1.5 works like a charm.

> > And as you also say, icq with jdk1.1.5 will not exit correctly, the only
> > way is to do a ^C. jdk1.1.2-fbsd1.tgz.good on the other hand, exits very
> > nicely (I am using motif in both cases).>
>
> What ever happened to 'write once, run anywhere' ;)

Well, if sun would have given more support to the people porting jdk's to
different platforms, this wouldn't have been the case. And with support i
mean organizing bugfixes and structuring the ongoing development of jdk.

(Just my small opinion on the matter :-)

	Johan
--
  * mailto:gozer@ludd.luth.se * http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/gozer/ *