Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:56:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libstand ext2fs

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 11:15:47AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Saturday, 29 April 2000 at 13:44:08 -0700, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
>> > jlemon      2000/04/29 13:44:08 PDT
>> >
>> >   Added files:
>> >     lib/libstand         ext2fs.c
>> >   Log:
>> >   Add ext2fs support to the loader.
>>
>> What's the need for this?
>
>It allows us to see linux partition types, and load from them;
>I should be able to boot a freebsd kernel and memory image from
>a pure linux box, although I've only used it to load the kernel
>at this point.
>--
>Jonathan

<wishlist>
Not sure if this is a silly question or not, but could the kernel somehow
view a specific dir on a ext2fs disk as the freebsd root and boot a
freebsd system from it?  Also being able to access the stuff below the
freebsd root on the ext2fs partition would be cool.  Any idea how much
work it might take someone to do this?  An alternative would be mounting a
file on the ext2fs via vn as the freebsd root containing a freebsd install
on ffs or ext2.  This way might make it easier to have access to the
underlying ext2 and make it easier for the base linux system to populate /
modify if linux has trouble with ffs.
</wishlist>