Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:16:27 -0200
From:      MauricioWP <mwp@pucrs.br>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NFS on Freebsd problem

Hi.

I've a problem envolving NFS, FreeBSD, Solaris, Samba and Windows NT.
And I'd like to ask you some help.

I've a 4.1-release box instaled with an NFS server which exports a
directory to a Solaris 8 machine.
This Solaris is a home server for +- 2000 users. For a specific group os
users the Solaris mounts via NFS the exported directory from FreeBSD and
make it available for these users along with other local dirs. This is
done by Samba, because the referred users use Windows NT 4.0 as clients.

The problem:
 when the users try to save anything on the disk, mapped by Samba on the
Solaris mounted by NFS on the FreeBSD, the Windows NT machine hangs the
application (Word, Excel, ...), which, we must understand, is a standard
behavior for Windows machines, and do not saves anything on the disk.

I've tested this with Windows 98 and it works just fine.

Other informations:
- the exported directory on FreeBSD is mounted over a Vinum volume (+-
18GB, 2x9GB);
- the Solaris mounts permanently (hard and rw flags) the exported dir
from FreeBSD.

Any help is apreciated. Thanks in advance.

MaurícioWP
--
Maurício Westendorff Pegoraro
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul - Brasil