Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 16:04:34 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        dcarmich@xnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, iwasaki@jp.freebsd.org, hosokawa@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: With the patch, I can see/use the modem, but it wedges after a while with PPP

Hi,

> The patch that was posted on freebsd-mobile
> (against PAO3-beta-19990329) lets my laptop see the modem and
> use it. However, after a few minutes of modem activity, the PPP connection
> hangs, requiring me to either quit PPP or close PPP to reestablish it.

Hmmm, it sounds like a IRQ conflict problem...
Could you check your hardware setting (BIOS Setup)
whether COM2 is disabled?
If COM2 is enabled and uses IRQ 3, allocating IRQ 3 for
your modem card may cause such a problem.

My suggestions:
- To disable COM2 by BIOS Setup menu to avoid IRQ 3 conflict.
- To make other free IRQ and allocate it for your modem card.
  something like:
  To disable Parallel port port by BIOS Setup menu and
  disable ppc0 related device entry in your kernel config file
  if you do need to use it. Then allocate IRQ 7 for your modem.