Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 14:28:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: ports.conf

On 29-Aug-01 Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Alexander Langer wrote:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> You probably followed the arch-mailinglist.
>>
>> I want to move all ports-related bits into a ports-specific ports.conf.
>>
>> Now I need your help:
>> - Location of ports.conf?
>>   $PORTSDIR/ports.conf ?
>>   $PORTSDIR/defaults/ports.conf ? (my favourite)
>>   $PORTSDIR/Mk/ports.conf ?
>>
>> I've also created this patch.
>
> Ok, now I've read the thread and can give my comments on the topic. To me
> it seems that ports.conf file isn't really necessary, because it would be
> just another file that gets unconditionally included from the bsd.ports.mk,
> perhaps we could just merge content of hypotetic ports.conf with
> bsd.ports.mk instead. This would solve "where to put it" and "at which
> point to include it" problems. Comments?

ports.conf is useful for the same reason that we have make.conf instead of
making people read bsd.foo.mk buried in some obscure directory: it's more
convenient to users.

Also, ports/Mk/ports.conf can easily just be a default file with everything
commented out that doesn't even get included.  Rather, if a user wants to
customize, they create a /etc/ports.conf with teh appropriate knobs set, and
bsd.port.mk just includes /etc/ports.conf.  The reason for putting the default
ports.conf in ports/Mk (or ports/defaults?) instead of /usr/share/examples or
some such is the same reason the ports makefiles are in ports/Mk and not
/usr/share/mk: it needs to be in sync with the ports tree.