Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 07:40:57 -0500
From:      yvlepage@post.bell.ca
To:        kirkglen@istar.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bible CDROM

Hello Kirk,

My name is Yves Lepage and I am the author of the book you acquired.

I'm sincerely sorry about the problems you're experiencing with the CD.

We apparently missed on this when burning the master CD. The format of the CD is
ISO 9660 + Rockridge extensions + Joliet (for windows long filenames support).
The part that breaks it is Joliet. This is going to be fixed for future reprints
of the book.

Although windows will display filenames correctly, the FreeBSD install program
will see the directories (and files) related to FreeBSD as upper case instead of
lower case and because of that it can't find them (remember Unix is case
sensitive).

I've helped a reader with the same problem before  and I am proposing my help to
you as well.

I've been able to install FreeBSD by copying the minimal packages (mostly just
bin) to a DOS partition (has to be a primary one) and did the install using the
"Install from DOS partition" from the Install program. Once this small FreeBSD
was up and running, I mounted the CD and ran a script that linked the
directories and files on the CD to a replica of the tree on the local disk but
with proper filenames.

I can provide you with the script if you're interested.

If your DOS partition is big enough (mine wasn't), you could copy the whole
FreeBSD distribution and do a complete install from the DOS partition.

If you have a fast Internet connection (or if you're not in a hurry), you could
do the minimal install from the DOS partition and 'sup' the rest from the
FreeBSD site, upgrading you FreeBSD to the latest one at the same time.

Whatever option you choose, the DOS partition can later be re-used as swap or
/tmp or anything you want.

Regards,
Yves Lepage