Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 12:16:05 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Incoming Mail List <mailist@whoweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: irc server

Incoming Mail List wrote:

> Has anyone gotten this software working on their system?
> I haven't found the documentation detailed enough to
> point me in the right direction with the issue I'm
> facing
>
> When I use the -d flag to get some debugging information
> I get the following messages:
>
> chdir: No such file or directory
> ircd: Error in daemon path: .

	Depending on whose server you're using, I would guess that you failed
to correctly define the DPATH and SPATH. The first refers to the path to
the data files like ircd.conf and ircd.motd. The second refers to the
path of the binary. Your problem is complicated by the fact that -d
isn't actually debugging info. :)

	Assuming you're installing ircd into your home directory, try a setup
like this:

/home/yourlogin/ircd/conf
/home/yourlogin/ircd/bin

	Then you put the ircd.conf and ircd.motd in ~/ircd/conf, and the binary
in ~/ircd/bin. Then, in include/config.h you define DPATH as
/home/yourlogin/ircd/conf and SPATH as /home/yourlogin/ircd/bin/ircd. If
all that doesn't work, put the ircd.conf and ircd binary in the same
directory and start it like this:  ./ircd -d .  (with the period).

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest