Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 95 18:15:05 +0000
From:      Andrew.Gordon@net-tel.co.uk
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

>>BTW ttcp on freebsd on 100BT interfaces (SMC) is at about 56 Mhz. These
>>are neptune, i understand triton would be better.
>
>   Yes, Triton works *much* better. You should be able to get full 100Mbit
>performance using a pair of 133Mhz Triton-based machines - I can tell you that
>I get nearly 80Mbits when doing TCP from a 90Mhz Triton machine. The pipeline
>burst cache also makes a tremendous difference, BTW...

But not if you are unfortunate enough to have your Triton chipset installed in
an Intel Zappa motherboard....  With the SMC card set to 100Mb/sec, so many
packets get dropped that the throughput is less than 10Mb/sec.  When set to
10Mb/sec mode they work normally.

Andrew
[whose network is still running at 10Mb/sec :-( ].

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?"MAC-951027181449-3B5E*/G=Andrew/S=Gordon/O=NET-TEL Computer Systems Ltd/PRMD=NET-TEL/ADMD=Gold 400/C=GB/">