Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:22:26 +0300
From:      Charlie Roots <root@isis.dynip.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.0 RELEASE, or CURRENT that can compile NEEDED URGENLY

Hi guys

I've been using FreeBSD as I learn it from scratch,
I even downloaded it from the net some year and half ago since 2.2.2-RELEASE
which was so stable and tolerated my noviceness very nicely.

As I learn to do good, sometimes I learn to do BAD,
One of the mistakes I did some eight months ago, that I learned how to use
CVSUP, and I felt that I must be in heaven to be able to upgrade a full unix
system over the net and for FREE.

What happened is I upgraded to  3.0-Current (then), and there was a
really annoying bug that remained with me whenever I reboot the machine
using shutdown -r command, the system goes into PANIc, and next time I have
to keep praying that nothing on the filesystems were FUCKED.

Fortunately, I was able to discovery thaat hittinh CNRL-ALT-DEL combination
did not panic neither that operating system nor me.

Next I CVSUPED to 3.0-CURRENT recently as of few days, and I discovered
that FreeBSD changed the binary format to ELF,  so I read why they did that,
and accepted the cause greatfully.  When I try to compile the system either
on an aout basis or elf basis, the compile fails.

So I though to give some desperate email to this list in the hope that someone
will have an answer for this problem.  All I got was a single email from a
very arrogant guy telling me in short to read the archives.

I sent him a reply indicating that I have a slow connection to the net and
I am trying to get the whole fucken archieve over to my machine so I can
spend some year and half searching for the answer.

Then I though man you are too stupid to run current, so I cvsuped 3.0-RELEASE
in the hope that I so be stupid, and the system compiles.

All hours of cvsupping went in vane, Current, and RELESAE both
won't compile whatever I do, even to create some symbolic links
or manipulating makefiles to bypass a glitchy area, but nothing still successful.

]Some NO-arrogant helpful user tryt to tell me why:

Current is not compiling and giving "__error" unknown from text segment.
]Release is not compiling and giving "ld:" not found something ..

until I get the HOLLY archieve and read it.

I is worth noting that all the goodies in current-ports are not compiling too now.

thanks in advance, and sorry for my nervousness.
if my email address fails, try
osiris2002@yahoo.com