Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:38:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Domas Mituzas <midom@delfi.lt>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mly driver does not work with SCA in up-to-date 4.3

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > I *knew* that interfacing this driver to CAM was a bad idea, and I
> > was right. 8(
>
> I'm kinda glad you did, since when I had to pull the Mylex controller
> when I could no longer get the system to boot, I just hooked one of
> the disks from the RAID1 array onto a regular SCSI controller and
> never had to edit fstab since the device name never changed.  Its only
> a minor advantage, I know.  What is it about CAM that doesn't fit well
> with what you're doing?

This, just for starters. 8)

Basically, CAM insists that things behave exactly like SCSI disks, etc.
And RAID arrays just don't; the driver has to fake up all sorts of
rubbish like whether the array supports disconnect, tagged queueing, its
transfer rate, etc.

I thought initially that because the array uses a subset of SCSI-like
commands, it'd make sense.  Unfortunately, it doesn't support enough of
them to be useful.  A wiser compromise would be to have an optional CAM
interface that can talk to non-disk devices on the SCSI bus and just
interface the disks directly to the bio layer, as I used to do with other
drivers.