Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 02:05:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        new-bus-arch@bostonradio.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pccard rewrite, patch #1

I've uploaded my current set of patches to the pccard stuff to
	http://www.freebsd.org/~imp/pccard-990505.diff.gz

These patches are still green.  They seem stable on my laptop, but I
still sometimes see odd messages indicating problems when I have
INVARIANTS enabled.  Do not use these patches if you need a stable
machines.  They may even trash your data.  They are for testing
purposes only, and only be skilled testers that really know how to
test and debug kernel problems, as there will be plenty of them in
these patches.

DO NOT USE THESE PATCHES IN A PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT.  DO NOT USE
THESE PATCHES IF YOU WANT A STABLE LAPTOP.  THEY ARE GREEN,
EXPERIMENTAL AND MAY CAUSE DATA LOSS, ULCERS, BODY ODER, DATA
CORRUPTION OR HAIR LOSS.

These contain the new bus conversion of the old pccard code.  I've
rewritten much of the code here, since most of it used interfaces that
were depricated with the conversion to newbus.  I've also cleaned up
the resource allocation mechanisms so that they use the rman/new bus
stuff rather than the various kludges that had been used.  I'm still
getting some of the parameters from pccardd.  pccardd is still
required in this version, and will be for what I've been calling the
"new-old" pccard code.  I've moved the pccard files from pccard/ to
dev/pccard.  pcic.c will likely be moved to isa/pcic.c in the future,
and pcic_p.c will go away to be replaced by pci/cbb.c.

I've also changed the kernel config file.  See patches to GENERIC for
details.

Problems that I'm aware of are that care removal might not work right,
reinsertion runs up against the name already in use problem.  Also,
you may want to hard wire the irq your pccard is using in your kernel
config file.

I've started adding support to the ata for ata-flash, but that might
not work in this version (4MB ata flash card for this work courtesy of
Nate Williams).  I've not touched sio or fdc yet.

They are also being made available for anybody who wishes to review
and comment on these changes.  Given the lack of docs on newbus, I've
tried to follow the examples of pci, isa, et al for writing a bus, but
I'm not sure that I understand all the nuances that are needed for
newbus.

Comments to me or the list.  I'll likely be releasing snapshots like
this for interested parties every few days depending on how much time
I find to spend on pushing forward.  Bug fixes also welcome :-)

Warner