Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Backman <tbackman@c523578-a.sttls1.wa.home.com>
To:        Mark Holloway <mlholloway@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binary U/G always fails.

Did you recomile the new kernel?

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Mark Holloway wrote:

> Whenever I do a /stand/sysinstall and upgrade via FTP it completes 100% and says "Congratulations!  You must reboot your machine.."
>

> Well, I reboot and once I get that first prompt where I have 10 seconds to select a default boot or a custom boot I press enter for the default and FreeBSD can't find my kernal!   It doesn't matter if I upgrde 3.1 Rel -> 3.1 Stable, -> 3.2 Rel, or 3.2 Stable - I always get the same problem!  Is there something I'm not doing after the upgrade (but before I reboot)?   If I CVSUP and makeworld do you think the same thing will still happen?  Is it better to CVSUP than to upgrade via binary?
>
> I appreciate the help.. This is something I've been fighting for a while now.. Everytime the upgrade fails I completely re-install FreeBSD.
>

> Regards,
> Mark

Todd Backman                               "there are two major products
<tbackman@c523578-a.sttls1.wa.home.com>     that came out of berkley:
Geek and FreeBSD user                       lsd and unix.
Seattle, WA                                 we don't believe this to be
"Chaos is a good teacher..."                a coincidence." j.s.anderson