Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:59:04 -0700
From:      "Chris Peterson" <chris@potamus.org>
To:        <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TCP Initial Sequence Numbers: We need to talk

Steve Gibson has written a paper describing his algorithm (called GENESIS)
to defend against SYN floods. I don't know if he has implemented it or if
his idea is even feasible. His algorithm is so simple, I suspect he must be
overlooking something.

Basically, he proposes that the server responds to client SYNs with a
SYN/ACK whose ISN is the client SYN's ISN plus the RC5 encrypted client
source IP address. When the server receives an ACK reply, it subtracts the
client's ACK ISN and decrypts the result. If the decrypted value equals the
client's source IP address, then this is a valid ACK. The server postpones
maintaining TCP connection state until after receiving a valid ACK reply to
its SYN/ACK.

More information about GENESIS:
http://grc.com/r&d/nomoredos2.htm

chris