Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:20:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT (?) booting from CD on Atapi

Mike Smith once wrote:

> > A machine with  SCSI disks and an ATAPI CD-ROM  (no IDE disks) would
> > not boot  from 3.3 CD  if the SCSI disks  are online. It  would say:
> > "Read Error" on the upper left of the screen -- where you'd normally
> > see the spinning  dash. I suspect, this is a  loader's bug :(, which
> > may make it to 3.4 ...

> This is a bug in your BIOS,  or your configuration of your system. The
> loader is not running at that point; the 'Read Error' message is boot1
> trying to load boot2 and failing, typically  due to a bad value in %dl
> passed by the BIOS.

Well, I figured, it is not the  BIOS, who says "Read Error", but did not
know which part of  the boot process :) I was hoping  to shed some light
on the  problem, that  was reported shortly  after the  3.3RELEASE, when
some people were and some were not  able to boot from their CD-ROMs. May
be this (common?) BIOS' brokennes can be worked around in boot1?

> > The workaround is to disconnect the  SCSI chain at the boot time and
> > connect it back when the /boot/loader gives the prompt -- the kernel
> > will find the disks nicely.
>
> I assume  that the system  boots correctly  from disk once  FreeBSD is
> installed?

Yes.

	-mi