Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine freezing up with PPP

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Ken Marsh wrote:

> > What version of Pine is this?  3.95 doesn't background the sendmail; it
> > waits for it to connect and process.  If the sendmail is taking a long
> > time then it'll wait.
>
> It's 3.91. Note that it does this sporadically. Would 3.91 background the
> sendmail sometimes, but not others?

3.91 always did; it wrote the message to a temporary file then ran
sendmail against it.  (The full details are in the update doc)

> > > Normally, Pine will display "sending message" for only a couple seconds,
> > > and then display "writing FCC", followed by "message sent".
> > >
> > > At first I thought the PPP connection was lost, but both while Pine was
> > > locked up and after killing it, I can still use netscape, ftp, and telnet
> > > through the connection and the prompt is still in capitol P's.
> > >
> > > Anyone have an idea? for now, I'm telneting a server at the Univ. and
> > > using thier pine. The PPP connection stays solid for that.
> >
> > Check the Setup -> Config and look at the available modes for sending
> > mail.
> >
> > I personally liked the background mode.
>
> I would prefer the background mode myself, only if I'm haveing this
> problem and the mail is just going into the background, then I wouldn't
> know it, I'd exit pine, and my mail would be unsent - right?

No, it should still be sending.

I think that's why they went to the new system so you'd know if there was
an SMTP-related problem.

> I have really grown to love that "message sent and copied to sent-mail"
> message. It gives me a sense of closure. in 3.95 is backgrounding the
> sendmail an option?

You still get that message.

Backgrounding is in there, but it doesn't appear to be working, so on long
haul sendmails you get to waiting a minute or two until sendmail gives up
and queues it or the session finishes.