Date:      Sun, 7 May 2006 13:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bigby Findrake <bigby@ephemeron.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Jails and loopback interfaces

On Sat, 6 May 2006, No@SPAM@mgEDV.net wrote:

>> Bigby Findrake
>> Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 11:42 PM

>>> Don't use those IPs.  In particular it's probably not a
>>> good idea to use localhost as a jail IP.  Use only loopback
>>> IPs (other than localhost), like the example that I wrote
>>> above.
>>
>> I agree with Oliver here - there's a difference between using
>> the loopback
>> adapter and using the localhost (127.0.0.1) IP.  I would strongly
>> recommend against using localhost as a jail IP unless you
>> have a specific
>> reason *to* do that - in other words, just assign an alias to
>> the loopback
>> adapter and use that alias for the jail.
>>
>> One reason that comes to mind immediately in response to the unasked
>> question, "why not use the loopback address for a jail?" is
>> that using the
>> loopback address for a jail makes it hard to seperate (for
>> use by packet
>> filters, for instance) host machine traffic from jail machine traffic.
>>
>> There are probably other good reasons for *not* using the
>> loopback address
>> for a jail as well, but I can't think of any of them.
>>
>>> And of course you should use appropriate packetfilter rules
>> to enforce
>>> what kind of access between the jails is allowed.  Only
>> allow what you
>>> need.
>>
>> I agree again.  If you're using the jail for security, lock
>> it down, only
>> allow traffic that should be going to (and from!) the jail,
>> and disallow
>> everything else.  Servers tend to accept connections, and not
>> initiate
>> them.  If this is the case for your server processes, use stateful
>> firewall rules to enforce the direction of connections - for
>> instance, you
>> might want to allow connections to port 80 on your jail, but
>> you probably
>> wouldn't want people launching attacks *from* port 80 on your
>> jail once
>> they compromise your webserver.  Assume that your jail will
>> get hacked,
>> and do all you can to prevent that jail from being a useful
>> staging point
>> for your attackers next wave of attacks.
>>
> well, with your configurations i'm really concerned about the
> overlapping configurations of ip-addresses on the loopback-
> adapter.
> lo0 is originally configured with 127/8 and i'm not sure, if
> there's not a chance to confuse something if you add ip's in
> the same range (127.0.1.1/32).

There isn't.  We use IP aliases on physical adapters in the same manner all the
time.  eg:

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         options=b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
         inet6 fe80::20e:cff:fe64:dc95%em0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
         inet 10.0.2.1 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 10.0.2.1

No problem whatsoever.

>  as far as i read on other posts
> about overlapping ip's it's not recommended (at least by some
> guys).

I can't think of any reason not to.

> what about configuring something like:
>
> ifconfig lo1 plumb
> ifconfig lo1 10.10.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.252 up
> ... and so on for futher jails?

There's no reason to keep the jail on the loopback adapter in the 127/8 range.
Set its IP as you would any other.  An RFC1918 address seems perfect, and
that's what I used.

"I dread success.  To have succeeded is to have finished one's business
on earth, like the male spider, who is killed by the female the moment
he has succeeded in his courtship.  I like a state of continual
becoming, with a goal in front and not behind."
                -- George Bernard Shaw

                    finger://bigby@ephemeron.org
                   http://www.ephemeron.org/~bigby/
                   irc://irc.ephemeron.org/#the_pub