Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:34:17 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        RWinters@QKan.Quintiles.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing 3.3 Release over DOS partition

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:34:11 EST, RWinters@QKan.Quintiles.com wrote:

> When I did an alt-F2, I found quite a few "chown not found" error
> messages

These are due to a bug in MAKEDEV, which assumes that chwon will be
present, even though it's not critical.

> During the copying bin into / process, I got a lot of error messages
> about "stand/cpio: bad header", "stand/cpio: bad checksum", and
> "stand/cpio: ignoring XXXXX bytes of junk".

How do you get the files into your /bin directory? You say you FTP the
files? Are you sure that you're using binary mode for each transfer, and
are you watching closely to make sure that all of the transfers complete
successfully?

Caio,
Sheldon.