Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:19:02 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Don't Panic - how do I investigate a kernel panic?

Hi,

I have a 5.3-STABLE which was stable untill last friday. Since then I
experience irregular panics, with uptimes between 25 secs and 16 hours.

In most cases I got a fatal trap 12, the last panic was simply "panic:
sbdrop".

I had 5.3p5 but upgraded to 5.3p8 after the first panics. After the last
trap 12, I replaced my custom kernel with a fresh built GENERIC, as I
thought it might be easier to investigate.

I have experienced trap 12 before startup completed and after shutdown
unmounted all disks. So, it seems not to be triggered by network events.

However, about the same time as the first panic and since then, I have
experienced an unusually high amount of ilicit mail delivery attempts to
adresses like <random_chars>@mydomain.com - not the amount I would
expect could cause a crash though, my connection is far to thin for that.

Following the kernel panic faq:

Fatal trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode
Fault virtual address   = 0xc
Fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc053d638
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xcb4ddaec
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xcb4ddaf8
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process         = 28 (swi1:net)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

# nm -n /boot/kernel/kernel | grep  c053d6
c053d610 T m_copydata
c053d670 T m_dup

Note: This was the same error for both the custom p5 and p8 kernels.

The sbdrop panic happened with the GENERIC kernel.

What does sbdrop mean? Is this a simple disk I/O or hardware error? How
do I get on from here?

How do I keep my system at least at minimum service without crashing?

Thanks! Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt