Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:13:14 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Charlie Root <root@web.dir.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hatred@europe.com
Subject:   Re: CMI8330 Audio adapter (was  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-trouble.html)

First, upgrade to 4.2-STABLE. It seems to me that the sound driver code
is constantly evolving.
Second, follow the instructions here:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/sound.html

Now, after rebooting your machine check the dmesg output to see if the
card is identified. If it's not, or if the remaining steps do not get it
working, it's probably not supported yet. In that case you have a few
more options:
1. Start hacking kernel code yourself and see if you can get a driver
working.
2. See if there's an existing development effort to make that card work.
Somebody might have patches. I would suggest searching yahoo for
"+CMI8330 +freebsd" and other such research. There may be drivers not
officially supported out there somewhere.
3. Get a sound card that is supported.

Good luck,
Bill