Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:43:59 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: auditing port options and following default option value changes

--EliEcrdWIaGab8sX6PDBKwno62sIad3f0

On 28/08/2014 04:56, Adam McDougall wrote:
> On 08/27/2014 21:12, Don Lewis wrote:
>> I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on upgrading ports in plac=
>> with portupgrade and I'm planning on switching to poudriere.  As part =
of
>> this conversion, I'd like to figure out what ports have non-default
>> options and which options are set to non-default values.  Then I can
>> figure out whether I want to set each option back to default or
>> propagate the non-default value to poudriere.
>>
>> Also, since the option files for each port contain the values for all
>> the options, if I have a port with one non-default option value set, h=
ow
>> can I follow updates to the default values of the other options?
>=20
> This may help:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?53FDE021.5030108
>=20
> I have not abandoned all my options files yet, I've eliminated some ove=
> time as I switch to defining options in make.conf.  I'll probably get
> burned some day and finish it off.

poudriere options creates a directory structure under
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/options [*] identical to what's under
/var/db/ports
so you can just make a link...

# cd /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d
# ls -la options
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  13 Dec 24  2012 options@ -> /var/db/ports

If you also set up /usr/ports as your default ports tree:

# poudriere ports -l
PORTSTREE METHOD TIMESTAMP           PATH
default   svn    2014-08-27 07:55:55 /usr/ports

then you end up being able to ad-hoc compile anything from ports on
demand, and you can just add it to your poudriere builds after the fact.
 Obviously, this is only of much use directly on your poudriere build
box, so limited to small-scale setups.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Possibly modified to include jail or ports tree names in case you
want different options for different package sets.

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.