Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:48:35 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Aleksandar Simic' <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The right way to burn CDs ?

Aleksandar Simic' wrote:

> Hello,
>
> could you tell me what is the right way to burn CDs ? This is what
> I've tried:
>
> # mkisofs -p "my cd" -R -v -o cd.iso ./burn/
>
> where ./burn is a directory containing just a single file
>
> # vnconfig /dev/vn0c ./cd.iso
> # mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /cdrom
>
> I then checked the contents of /cdrom and I found the file I placed in
> burn directory. Then I've unmounted the /cdrom and /dev/vn0c, and
> proceeded to:
>
> # burncd -f /dev/acd1c data ./cd.iso fixate
>
> Which spews the following error message:
>
> next writeable LBA 0
> writing from file ./cd.iso size 54 KB
> written this track 54 KB (100%) total 54 KB
> fixating CD, please wait..
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error
>
> The CD writer, Yamaha 16/10/40, is detected by the kernel:
>
> acd1: CD-RW <YAMAHA CRW2100E> at ata1-slave using WDMA2
>
> And uname -r:
>
> 4.3-BETA
>
> If you can help me with this I would be very grateful, thanks.

I tried something similar with a TDK X161040 and didn't have any
problems. The only difference was that I did

burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 12 data windows.iso fixate

It fixated and I moved it over to the windows server and used it. I
didn't see any reason to do a ./cd.iso. That only applies when you are
trying to execute a program in the current directory. The systems are
all FreeBSD-4.3-RC  I moved a similar iso onto a system with a
HP-8100i and received two READ_TOC messages and two PREVENT_ALLOW
messages but it burned the iso just fine.

Burncd had messages like that a long time ago when 4.0 was first
released. It wouldn't burn a CD on the HP at that time. The HP is so
slow that I rarely use it any more. I have to use "-s 4" on it. I have
a Sony CRX160 that I will try in a little while. The first iso is
being installed as a test.

Are you using CD-R or RW material?

Kent

> --Alex