Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:00:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        David Handlos <webmaster@crosslinkz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Firewalling: Getting blocked

On 19-Dec-00 David Handlos wrote:
> This is my first attempt at using FreeBSD, and I've been really pleased
> with the way it's worked thus far.
> I've got it set up to dial up to our DSL connection, and the IP aliasing
> allows our 5 workstations to use the same connection.
>
> I've only got one bug to iron out:
> For some reason, we're not able to access certain web sites, we're given
> DNS errors.
> Popular sites like FreeDrive.com and Real.com are inaccessible.
>
> I thought at first it must be some kind of firewall thing that FreeBSD
> does, but I haven't even
> set up any of the firewall options. Is this normal? Is there a way around
> this?

The base system does not include any firewalls at all, so if you have not
firewalled it noone else has either.

We need more info to pinpoint the causes, though I would suspect a misconfigured
DNS as your ISP. Can you get access from any computer, from the FreeBSD one or
none? What does a ping to the name and/or IP say? What does nslookup tell you?

lagrange> nslookup freedrive.com
Server:  ns.isy.liu.se
Address:  130.236.48.2

Name:    freedrive.com
Address:  205.141.206.70

lagrange> nslookup real.com
Server:  ns.isy.liu.se
Address:  130.236.48.2

Name:    real.com
Address:  208.147.89.59

> Thanks,
>
> David Handlos
>

> David Handlos
> CrossLinkz: Directory for Free Stuff
> Listings and reviews for hundreds of freeware products and promotion
> resources.
> Searchable directory of freebies, updated weekly, with a guide on
> building/promoting
> your own site for free. Promote your own free product by listing it here.
> http://www.crosslinkz.com

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail