Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:36:35 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   StarOffice difficulties with msdos partition

Hi:
Dual boot setup with Windows98 and FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, KDE and StarOffice
5.1a.
/etc/fstab file contains:
/dev/ad0s1   /msdos   msdos   rw,longnames,-u=1002,-g=1002  0  2

Problem:
StarOffice editor: File -> Open shows only a limited number of file and
directories.  For example the MyDocuments folder is not listed.  But if I
specify a path and filename which is not listed, it _will_ open the file.

I tried editing a word file (which wasn't listed) and it found it and wrote
it (with a different filename) but when I tried to open the file after
booting Win98, I got an error message (check filename and permissions on
file and directory...)

The KDE editor and KDE file manager show all files and directories under the
/msdos directory and will edit them and write them and I have no problem
opening the files again under Win98.  *BUT* I have only used the KDE editor
with text files, not with word files.

Is anyone aware of these problems, know of any fixes/workarounds?  Am I
doing something wrong? Any help is very apprecitated.

John