Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:43:08 -0500
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        stan <stanb@panix.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: imap question

Passwords would be sent in clear text if you compiled WITHOUT_SSL and
connected to port 143.

make cert is used on that port to create the certificate file
imap(d).pem and an symbolic link for pop3d.

  I suspect that there is something wrong with the certificate or the
permissions are wrong.  It could also be an issue with the client mail
app you are using.  For example, Apple' s mail.app in OSX does not
handle self signed certificates well.

imapd doesn't want the cert from the openbsd router, its just reporting
the client is coming from it since its your router.  The cert comes
from the freebsd file system.

I suppose its possible that openssl thinks a man in the middle attack
is happening since the request is coming for your router presuming its
that smart.  if its just forwarding the packets, i don't see how
though.

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)