Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 01:04:24 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

At 12:46 24.05.00 -0600, you wrote:
>}
>}Why not just make it conditional on the "cpu I386_CPU" line in the
>}kernel Makefile?  The comment already reads:
>}
>}# deleting the specification for CPUs you don't need to use may make
>}# parts of the system run faster.  This is especially true removing
>}# I386_CPU.
>
>Technically this works just fine.
>
>I personally don't understand the implications of saying that a
>kernel build is necessary. I'm not saying it is bad, I just saying
>I don't understand. If people say this is acceptable then this

Hi!

Well, it is (as far I understood it in the past being a youngster in the
UNIX world) the standard way/clasisc way of installin an UNIX system.

It has the benefits of simply grabbing some installation media, dumping all
the code onto the target system, and expect it to run. Very essential in
all those situations when you need to "just need to check/try out something
on the fly".
A generic kernel supports at least enough devices to get the system into
usable shape.
In a more recent box, where you have some special/additional hardware, you
always will compile your own kernel afterwards, especially if you have some
SMP machine.
(Yes, have my dual iP233MMX (socket7) running happily)

This procedure has following advantages:
a)It will run on all systems, so that you save time and hassle.
b) It is the standard way of doing it, the people are used to it. So why
fix it when it ain't broke...

Point is, the more errors may occur during the install process, and be it
the need to make something fit for older machines, some errors will occur,
because you have to think a bit more or pay attention to other things than
those you do daily/at least on every install.
Its a possibility less to make faulty decisions.

Also, for support of 386/486 :
Small Unix -based computer systems like BSD, Linux and some derived works
(like PicoBSD similar Linux projects) may be used as a router, little
firewall, mail server etc.
So it also goes about recycling/extending the lifespan of hardware that
otherwise would be thrown into the junkyard. This also is some cost factor,
especially in commercial environment.
So an enterprise is able to lower its overall cost for new hardware by
simply using it appropriately with some powerful OS behind it.

The embedded market is also a very big factor. I heard some figures about
numbers of CPUs  going into the embedded market;those outsell the CPUs
found in PCs easily. *BSD is one of the favoured OS used therein, also due
to the BSD License.
And, as previously stated, when you do some critical design, where whether
money is a factor, or even size or power consumption, then a 386 or 486 is
a favourite about a pentium class CPU. Also, when the computing power of a
386 will be enough for a given system with a given, not rising workload,
why spend extra money for a 486 class CPU?
(I'm also thinking of those PC104 systems...)

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)