Date:      09 Jun 1999 02:07:34 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        "Ghulam Dastgir" <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fetchmail problems

"Ghulam Dastgir" <banta@ghulam.force9.co.uk> writes:

> $ fetchmail -u ghulam mail.force9.net
>
> Then I get the password prompt, after which the following output:
>
> fetchmail: IMAP connection to mail.force9.net failed: local error: =
> Connection refused

fetchmail seems to try an IMAP4 connection first by default.

> fetchmail: 1 message for ghulam at mail.force9.net

At this point, fetchmail has succeded with a POP3 connection (I
think).

> reading message 1 of 1 (2075 bytes) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to =
> voyager.ghulam.force9.co.uk failed: Operation timed out
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching mail from =
> mail.force9.net

fetchmail tried to deliver the message on your local host via SMTP
(which is the default AFAIK). If you don't have an SMTP server running
(usually sendmail), this won't work -- you either need an SMTP server
(e. g. sendmail) or some other delivery agent (e. g. procmail); in the
latter case you need the --mda option of fetchmail.

Instead of the commandline options, you should consider using a
$HOME/.fetchmailrc -- this is much more convenient. Let's have a look
at my .fetchmailrc:

----
poll berlin.snafu.de with proto POP3
       user "jn" there with password "xxxxxxxx" is
       jnickelsen@acm.org here warnings 3600 fetchall
----

In plain English, this is:
  - Get mail from host berlin.snafu.de with POP3
  - my account on that host is jn, password xxxxxxxx (actually it is
    different, of course)
  - here, at the localhost, deliver the mail to jnickelsen@acm.org
    (which is my "official" private address, but will be rewritten by
    my MTA)
  - send warnings about oversized messages very 3600 seconds
  - fetch all messages (even the ones already read)

I recommend you study the fetchmail(1) manual page in detail -- it is
very instructive.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you could write your messages in plain text
*without* the HTML.

--
Juergen Nickelsen