Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 20:53:01 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IDE or Ultra SCSI

Francisco Reyes writes:

[...]
> The computer is going to be:
> 64MB 10ns SDRAM DIMMs
> Cyrix P200+
>
> The difference in price betwen IDE and Ultra is about $700. Is it worth
> it?

You didn't say what model EIDE drives they swap out for what model SCSI stuff they swap in. Recently I purchased an IBM DCAS-34330 4.1G Ultra (narrow) HD from my favorite Macintosh SCSI source, http://www.apstech.com/ for $599.95 (told 'em I had a PowerMac 8100/80, which I do, and that made them happy). It's "only" a 5400 RPM drive, but a cute little bugger at only 1" high. There is a question as to whether the warranty is 3 years or 5 years. They advertise 3, but I noticed a "certificate" proclaiming a 5 year warranty was included. This certificate isn't marked as to which product it belongs to.

Throw in a Symbios PCI SCSI card for around $100 and you've got a pretty good SCSI system for only the $700 "additional" somebody wants to charge you. APS doesn't have the Symbios card but recently had a deal which included a Mac 2940UW for $199 with drive purchase. Is there a difference between Mac and PC 2940's? Maybe change out the EEPROM contents?

They also have external Toshiba 12X CDROMs (SCSI of course) for $159.

Anyhow, put the PowerMac 8100/80 sled (which came with the 4.1G drive) to good use with an older 510M Seagate ST3610N, and put that in the 8100/80. Put the 4.1G in an external box and hooked it to the Mac and ran it the past couple of weeks just to make sure it worked in the environment it was sold for.

This afternoon it spent several hours on an SGI Indy R5000. All smiles. Had tried it earlier on the only available SCSI ID on an Indigo, where it didn't work so well. Not sure I can fault the new drive as it was only one of 4 external SCSI boxes on that bus. Every box was of different manufacture. Every cable was different too. But when it worked this afternoon on the Indy, "time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k count=1024 of=junkfile" completed in 2:16 for a 1G average write thruput of 7.8M/minute. For kicks I tried the same thing on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 1 that has wide 4.3G Seagate Barracudas (not the new 1" high). Only got 6.1M/minute.

Basically I'm just continuing on Jordan's thread as to how portable SCSI devices are. Reading the other mail produced few references to using tape drives on SCSI. That's another fun thing to do. Again, portable from Mac, SGI, Sun, and FreeBSD.

Next week my 4.1G drive goes to its next home, PeeCee, my AMD 5x86/133-P75 FreeBSD system, hopefully to stay for the next several years. Expect to retire a Conner IDE 487M drive, and free up another ST3610N for the PowerMac.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net