Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:20:17 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is csup ?

Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:47:25 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> Please, please reassure me that I do come from Mars:
>>
>> What am I missing in the following? (direct quote from
>> http://www.shute.org.uk/misc/freebsd_uptodate.html :
>>
>> Then copy this script to /usr/local/sbin/ and run it when you want to
>> update your ports, source & docs.
>> #!/bin/sh
>> #
>> # Update source, docs and ports
>>
>> LOCAL_DIR="$(pwd)"
>>
>> cd /usr/src
>> make update
>> cd /usr/ports
>> make fetchindex
>
> Yes, the "make update" command either employs csup or cvsup (from ports,
> e. g. cvsup-without-gui). Which one is used is controlled by the
> setting in /etc/make.conf, for example:
>
> SUP_UPDATE= yes
> SUP= /usr/bin/csup
> SUPFLAGS= -g -L 2
> SUPHOST= cvsup.freebsd.org
> SUPFILE= /etc/sup/stable.sup
> PORTSSUPFILE= /etc/sup/ports.sup
>
> Version control is done by the sup control files.
>
> If you do "make update" in /usr/src, I think the /usr/ports subtree
> will get updated, too. If not, don't forget to
>
> # cd /usr/ports
> # make update
>
> in order to update the ports.
>
> Note that there are other tools that can do that, too, e. g. portsnap.
>

>> echo "Now run:"
>> echo "# /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u "
>> echo "# /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -uvF "
>
> This is only important if you use tools like portupgrade.
>

> Erm, what was the initial question?
Well, I'm a bit confused about this "script" - something doesn't make
sense - what are you supposed to call the script? And it doesn't work as
written:

# update-ports    #(the name I gave the script - maybe I didn't
understand something about how to write the script - the instructions
clearly said copy the script)
make: don't know how to make update. Stop
/usr/ports/INDEX-7.bz2             100% of 1283 kB  581 kBps
Now run:
/usr/local/sbin/update-ports: echo# /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u : not found
/usr/local/sbin/update-ports: echo /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -uvF : not found

I guess that then I have to rund them manually... something ain't right,
right?