Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:13:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        current <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic when booting with USB CF reader

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Lars Eggert wrote:
> I'm seeing a kernel panic on -current (9/26) when booting with a SanDisk
> ImageMate II USB comact flash reader plugged in. The panic occurs after
> the kernel has loaded when the first rc.d scripts execute (dumpon,
> vinum, etc).
>
> If I boot with the device disconnected, I can plug it in and unplug it
> without problems later.
>
> Attached is a boot trace and a gdb backtrace. (gdb crashed on me, so I
> couldn't get more information.) Here's the relevant info from the trace:
>
> SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> Entropy harvesting: interrupts ethernet point_to_point.
> kernel dumps on /dev/da1s1b
> vinum: loaded
> umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
> da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da2: <SanDisk ImageMate II 1.30> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
> da2: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> (da2:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (da2:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
> (da2:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
> (da2:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
> (da2:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
> (da2:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable error
>
> Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
> cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 02000000
> instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc0437608
> stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xeb484870
> frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xeb4848f8
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process		= 67 (vinum)
> kernel: type 18 trap, code=0
> Stopped at      __qdivrem+0x38: divl    %ecx,%eax

Is this still a problem?  Does it work if you have a flash card plugged
into the reader while booting?  Can you enable options DDB and type
"tr" to get a backtrace after the panic?

The problem appears to be that something is using the return value from
READ CAP even though it is not set because there is no flash
present (i.e. div by 0).

-Nate