Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:58:44 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounted cd and tray locking

on 12/12/2007 15:55 Nikos Vassiliadis said the following:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 13:13:48 Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> I recently noticed that FreeBSD doesn't prevent tray opening (via a
>> button on CD/DVD drive) even if I mount a CD with ISO 9660 filesystem on
>> it. This at least happens with ATAPI CD drive (acd driver/device).
>>
>> Maybe my memory is failing me but I seem to remember times when mounting
>> a CD locked a tray. Shouldn't this be a more reasonable behavior ?
>
> Yes, could file a PR?
>
> I see the mentioned behavior for my recent 6-STABLE.

Hmm. Looked at the code and it should be as expected. Played with
various stuff and here's what I think: it seems that having atapicam and
hald and maybe something in KDE that polls for CD change is to blame.
My theory: after I mount some media on acd0, hald wants to "taste" it
through cd0, on opening cd0 device 'prevent' command is sent, on closing
cd0 'allow' is sent, so in the end drive's tray is in unlocked state.

I don't see any easy resolution for this, but it definitely would be
good to come up with one.

--
Andriy Gapon