Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 21:41:15 -0700
From:      "Mark C. Langston" <mark@bitshift.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sharp Actius PC-A800?

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 12:13:25AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> I'm looking into low-budget "ultra portables" for use with FreeBSD and
> the Sharp Actius PC-A800 is rising to the top of the list.  Is anybody
> out there using an A800 with FreeBSD?  Any quirks to be aware of? Does
> sound work?

I'm using one.  Have been for a week now.  4.0-STABLE and -RELEASE:
Couldn't get sound working.  5.0-CURRENT:  Works like a charm, though
I do seem to have to change the volume before it wants to work.

Quirks:  The FN-Fkey combo for volume control won't work.  Seems to
be software-based.  There's no BIOS option for disabling suspend when
the lid's closed, that I can find.  And the left Fn key is in an
incredibly annoying location...I ended up remapping the caps lock to
CTRL in both X and console.

> If anybody has an A800, can you tell me what sort of memory it takes?
> Sharp's own site is the only place I've found selling memory for it --
> at the outrageous price of $379 for 128MB of memory.  From the
> picture, I'd guess that it is a PC100 144-pin SODIMM, but I'd like to
> be certain...

No idea.  I just sucked it up and dropped the $200 for the 64MB upgrade,
for 128MB total.

As a further data point, I'm using the notebook without PAO code, and
am successfully using a Lucent WaveLAN Gold 11Mbps Turbo PCMCIA card
(nee 'orinoco').  Had to modify the suspend and resume scripts to
kill and restart dhclient, and add a local startup script that changes
the card mode from ad-hoc (default) to base-station use.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org